Approved by the Board of Trustees, May 20, 2020
Reviewed and reaffirmed, May 17, 2023
While every practical effort will be made to adhere to scheduled hours of operation and programming, circumstances occasionally arise that require unscheduled closures and/or reduced or canceled service offerings in order to preserve the safety and well-being of Library patrons and staff.
The Library may cancel scheduled programming, reduce regular hours of operation (open late/close early), cancel meeting room reservations and/or completely close one or more of its physical locations in the event of:
- Severe weather conditions or natural disasters that make travel exceptionally hazardous, result in an insufficient number of available staff, prevent safe maintenance of Library walkways and parking lots, or that otherwise similarly impair safe and responsible operations;
- Building safety issues such as prolonged power outages, failure of a building heating or cooling system, gas leaks, water problems or other conditions at a Library location that impairs safe use and operation of the facility;
- Request for closure by local, county or state law enforcement agencies; or
- Other seriously unsafe or unhealthy condition that impairs safe and responsible use and operation of a library facility.
The Board of Trustees delegates the decision to cancel programming and/or close facilities for any of the above reasons to the Library Director. The Library Director, or designee in the event of the Director’s unavailability, will make such decision in his/her discretion and after consultation with the Board President. If the Board President cannot be reached, then consultation shall be had with the Board’s Vice President. If the Board President cannot be reached within a reasonable time, then the Library Director or Director’s designee shall proceed with a decision and thereafter notify the Board of Trustees as promptly as reasonably possible.
When a decision is made to cancel programming and/or close a facility for any of the reasons stated above, notification of the cancelation and/or closure should be made by posting physical notice at the affected facility’s main entrance and posting electronic notice on social media. Notice may also be provided through a Library telephone recording and by advising local media outlets.
Library loan periods will be extended in the event of an unscheduled closure such that materials due on a day of unexpected closure will be considered due either:
- the next day that the Library is open for operation, or
- on a staff-reset due date which is after the anticipated reopening.